Thursday, November 17, 2011

Raspberry Pretzel Salad

I don't remember the first time I had Raspberry Pretzel Salad. It has been such a staple of Thanksgiving dinners in my family, I don't even know where it started. I think my Grandma Cheezie (my Mom's Mom) made it for us, but really I don't remember.
This is such a simple, yet delicious side dish. Don't let the title of "salad" deceive you though. There is nothing salad-like in this concoction. The saltiness of the pretzels mixed with the sweet of the whipped cream, marshmallows and cream cheese, followed by the tart bite of raspberries...this one has it all.
My kids love helping me make this salad. Their favorite part is crushing up the pretzels and I can't say that I blame them!


Raspberry Pretzel Salad

Ingredients:
2 C. crushed pretzels
3/4 C. butter
2 C. small marshmallows
8 oz. non dairy whipped topping (I use Rich's Whip because it doesn't have any caesin in it)
8 oz. cream cheese (I use Tofutti non dairy cream cheese)
2 C. powdered sugar
2 1/2 C. water
6 oz. raspberry Jell-O
10 oz. frozen raspberries
Directions:
Combine crushed pretzels and melted butter, then press into 9x13 baking dish
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, then cool.
Mix whip topping, cream cheese, powdered sugar and marshmallows together.
Spread over cooled pretzels and chill.
Combine boiling water with Jell-O.
When Jell-O is dissolved, add the frozen berries.
Let it chill until it is thickened - NOT SET. If you let it wait until it is set, it will be lumpy on top of the whip topping layer. (and then it will look like the photo in the top of the post. Not ugly, but not as pretty as it could be)
When it is thickend, pour the Jell-O on top of the whip topping layer.
Chill overnight.

I hope you enjoy this one as much as my family does! I eat gluten-free and dairy-free, and as you can see, with a few modifications, this is a safe food for me.

No comments: