Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Gratitude


It is that time of year again.  The one where the world pauses to take stock of our lives. We think about what we are grateful for, our blessings, and try to be better people.  We listen to others a little more carefully, our compassion grows, and we look for ways to serve others on a daily basis.
I try to do these things year round, but I admit that I am guilty of really stepping it up during the holiday season.  Not only am I more conscientious of what I am doing, but of what my children are doing.  I try to teach them always to be grateful for all they have.  We are so blessed and talk about it often.  We have a home, we have clean water, we have good food, they have toys, clothes, a good school, a family that loves them...the list goes on and on.
I wanted to do an activity with them to help them really understand how blessed they are.  To help them put into their own words all they have.
We sat down with a colored piece of paper each, and wrote things we are grateful for.  I told the kids they could draw pictures, write, whatever they wanted.  These are now on display in the house, and after Thanksgiving, I will put them in a binder for safe keeping.  We are going to do this every year so we can have a physical reminder of what we are thankful for.  Also, it will be really fun to go back and read these in 10 years!
While their thankful lists ranged from Legos (can you guess who?) to friends, to Mom (awww..), they each really thought about what they were grateful for.
As for me? I am grateful for them.  Every one of my babies who make me want to be a better person.  I am grateful for my health and the health of my children.  I am so thankful for my wonderful husband who makes this journey of life so much better.  I am thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I am thankful for my friends...including each of you.
What are you grateful for this holiday season?  How do you help your children realize how blessed they are?
 
This post is part of the Hallmark Life is a Special Occasion Campaign.  I have been lucky enough to blog for Hallmark for the last few months.  This month our theme is Thanksgiving/Family.  
Be sure to sign up for Hallmark emails to get great deals throughout the year.  Who knows, you just might see me there too!
Check out the other Hallmark bloggers and what they are writing about.  It really is an amazing bunch of writers and you are sure to be inspired!
While I was compensated to write this post, all words (as   always) are mine.  You can’t put a price on this awesomeness!

No comments: