Friday, October 7, 2011

I take my Parenting Advice from Jack Donaghy

I am sick of yelling.  I am sick of pleading, begging, bargaining, screaming, yelling, and crying.  In a house of 4 small children, I find myself acting like one more often than I like.  A lot  more often than I like. A couple weeks ago I decided that I was sick of Meagan Francis getting to have the title of The Happiest Mom.  Sure, she is happy and she is a Mom, but is it fair that she gets that title? I think not. I told my kids that my friend Meagan thinks she is the happiest Mom.  I told them that I was going to give her a run for her money.  I informed these small people that I am done yelling.  I don't like to yell.  I don't like how it makes me feel.  I don't like how it makes our home feel.  My Mom yelled at me and I hated it.  I don't want to do it anymore to my children. Seth looked at me and said, "I don't think you can do it Mom.  I mean, you yell a lot".  Amelia agreed with him and Libby told me she likes crackers.  So, I took that on as a challenge. That night at dinner we were talking about this, and Jeremy reminded me of the brilliance of everyone's favorite Boss, Jack Donaghy.  Dear Jack lives by the rule of "ASQ" - Always Speak Quieter.  He who speaks the quietest in a situation where emotions run high, wins. He teaches this technique to deal with Overbearing Mothers.  And if it works with Overbearing Mothers, it most definitely should work with my children! Yes...YES! This is my new parenting plan.  I mean come on, who would you take your parenting advice from?  Jack or Meagan?  Jack or Meagan.  Tough choice I know.

She is a gentle, happy Mama to 5.

He is a ruthless business Tycoon.

But, I tried Jacks way.  When I am about to lose it, I speak quietly.  I have been known in the last few weeks to "whisper yell".  I have yelled a couple times, but I am trying really hard.  I am trying to be the winner and guess what?  I am becoming happier.  Meagan is probably still the Happiest Mom, but I am getting there. So you better watch your back Mrs. Francis...because my whisper technique just might knock you off your throne! P.S. I adore Meagan and she can be the Happiest Mom..you know, she wrote a book and everything and she rocks the party.  I just want to be like her when I grow up.

No comments: