Sunday, May 2, 2010

Our Grand Getaway

It all started on Friday night when Libby was up all night screaming.  She told me her ear hurt.  "Of course", I thought, "Jeremy and I are going away on Thursday night, so of course her ear hurts!"  The next morning I took her to Urgent Care and got some antibiotics to treat her double ear infection.

We were going.

Tuesday night, my period hadn't arrived.  I had taken a test and found out I was not pregnant (whew!), but wondered where my period was.  It was 4 days late, and while I hadn't had a period since I got pregnant with Emma before January, since then I was very regular, every 28 days.  It showed up that night.  With a vengeance.  Awesome.  My Man and I are to go on a romantic night away and I will be on day 2 of my period.  Sweet.

But, we were still going.

Thursday morning I woke up to Amelia in my bed saying, "Mom, I don't feel good.  I think I'm going to throw up".  She ran to the bathroom and proceeded to vomit.  Fantastic.

She laid around all morning and just didn't feel good.  She didn't have a fever, but I couldn't leave her with my Mom if she was sick.

Jeremy and I wracked our brains as to why she was sick.  Then we remembered...she had a grilled cheese sandwich the night before.  She and high quantities of milk don't get along.  I get lax and don't think about it, but when it comes to straight milk or cheese, she will get sick.  Every single time.

My Mom got her some crackers, jell-o and soup and she was feeling better.

We were going.  And we did.  Despite the Universe working against us, we went to Salt Lake City for 1 night and had the best time ever.

About a month ago, I won a contest on Super Mom Central's blog for a night's stay at The Grand America Hotel and Afternoon Tea for Two

We arrived at the hotel and checked in.  We went to our room, on the 20th floor!!!, and couldn't believe our eyes.  This room was AMAZING.  First of all, the VIEW.  HELLO!


Upon check-in there was a plate of 6 chocolate covered strawberries and a note from the Hotel Manager for us. 

We checked out our surroundings, and then went down to tea.  I wish I had pictures to share with you, but I took them all on my phone and they didn't turn out very great.  So, you will just have to believe me and go check out the website to see for yourself.

I had Raspberry Tea and Jeremy had Mint Hot Chocolate.  We were then treated to English Scones (I believe they were currant, so yummy!) with Lemon Curd, Strawberry Jam and English Cream.  We also were given a plate of finger sandwiches and had our first taste of Caviar.  We felt SO fancy.  Just when we were feeling very full and happy, the sweet hostess brought out the dessert cart.  There was Carrot Cake, Chocolate Chip Cheesecake and 6 varieties of French Pastries.  We both chose the cheesecake and she also gave us fresh strawberries with whipped cream and a pastry to try.  AMAZING.

When we were finished, we went back to our room to relax and unwind.

Later that evening we went to dinner downtown and then back to the hotel.  For $10/day you can visit the Spa and use the indoor pool, hot tub, sauna and steam room.  Best $10 we spent the whole time we were there.  The entire place just made you want to relax.  I felt so mellow and happy, it was such a nice change from my everyday life.

We slept fabulously and awoke ready for the next day.  We decided on having breakfast at the Garden Cafe restaurant in the hotel.  I was really wanting Eggs Benedict, but when the waitress informed us that we could do the buffet for $15 a person, we were all over that.  This was no normal buffet by the way.  If I was in Salt Lake for breakfast again, I would go there.  While I didn't get my Eggs Benedict, we did have fabulous pastries, fresh fruit, omelets, crepes, bacon, sausage, oatmeal...the list goes on.  We left stuffed and happy.

We really had such a wonderful time (except for the part where a stranger asked me when I was due and I about smacked her but we were at the Temple and that just wouldn't be appropriate so I smiled and said I wasn't pregnant and she felt really dumb.) and can't wait to go back.  As a matter of fact, we are already planning our next trip to The Grand America.  If you live in the area, you should too.  They have a special right now, when you book a night you will get $100 to use in the hotel.  That would be a fabulous $100, you could use it in the Spa for a massage, or for Tea and Room Service, in the Sweet Shoppe (oh yeah, FABULOUS!!!!) or in any of the Restaurants or Shops.



Enjoy the video.  I couldn't finish it completely because the battery died on my camera.  This just gives you an idea of what the rooms look like.  Looking back I wish I had made the bed before taking the video, but hey, we've all seen a bed after it's been slept in, right? ;)

Really, everything was perfect.  The only complaint we had was that we couldn't stay longer.  Oh and that Jeremy got shocked everytime he touched anything in the Hotel.  Maybe a little static guard on his shoes next time? 

We can't wait to return.  See you again soon Grand America.

*The Grand America hotel in no way sponsored this post or even knows I am writing it.  I just wanted to pass along to all of you bits of our great stay and hope you can go stay too!

No comments: