Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thyroid Issues

January is National Thyroid Awareness Month

When Seth was 14 months old I thought I was pregnant.  I mean, I'd done it two times before and I knew what it felt like to be pregnant.  I was BONE tired all the time.  Seriously exhausted all the time.  I just couldn't wake up.  I was also having a really hard time losing weight.  I couldn't get it off and I couldn't wake up.  It was making me crazy.  I took so many pregnancy tests that I should have bought stock in E.P.T!  

Finally, I went to my doctor.  He ran a lot of tests and found out that my thyroid was was really low.  I had no idea what the thyroid was or did.  I quickly learned though.


The thyroid is a small gland located in the middle of the lower neck, which produces hormones that regulate many functions including temperature, weight gain, and weight loss.  Many Americans experience various problems with the functioning of their thyroid.  Some red flags to watch for are:
  • sudden weight gain or increase in body fat
  • inability to lose weight despite proper diet and exercise
  • fatigue, insomnia or restless sleep, anxiety or panic attacks
  • gas, bloating, diarrhea, or constipation
  • chronic sinusitis or lingering infections
 It is important if you notice these warning signs you see your physician to learn more. Cause I'm not a doctor!


For those of us in the childbearing years, it is also very crucial that you get it checked if you suspect this could be a problem for you.  Low thyroid levels contribute to miscarriages.  During my pregnancies with Amelia and Libby, I had to get my thyroid checked every trimester.  This not only reassured me, but was vital for the health of my pregnancies.

There are also many online resources for those seeking more information and support.  One online resource is the Fibro 360 Community – Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center.  This online community not only offers a network of support, but also resources to those seeking more information about fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and related disorders including those concerning the thyroid.

This is a community I could have used when I first was diagnosed.  And now that I have been on my thyroid medication for 4 1/2 years, I feel that I can help those who are very new in this journey.

 If you’d like to learn more or would like to join the Fibro 360 Community, please visit Fibro 360 on Facebook .  You can also follow Fibro 360 on Twitter.


Could you use a little pampering?  One of you lucky readers will win a $25 gift card to Amazon.com to be used on whatever you need!  Let Fibro 360 treat you!

To enter, please visit the Fibro 360 Community on Facebook and become a fan, then let us know in the comments.  Would you like a bonus entry?  Let me know that you follow @Fibro360 on Twitter!
Contest ends January 31st at 11:59 p.m. EST.

No comments: