Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Little Help From My Friends

Last Winter, I was contemplating changing my blog name. You see, I do not live on the Prairie anymore. I needed something fun and clever for the Gardener's Market when I was selling my dresses and that was what Jeremy and I came up with. But it really doesn't fit me anymore. I pushed the thought out of my mind and then found myself at Blogher in July.

I met so many people and every time someone would look at my name tag and we would then have this conversation;
"Prairie Mama? Where on the Prairie do you live?"
"Oh, haha, no I don't live on the Prairie anymore, I live in Logan, UT".
"oh"
and they would walk away very disappointed. Or, they would say, "Utah? That's not the prairie!" and I would reply with something witty like, "yeah, I know, that's where I'm from. I guess maybe I should be displaced prairie mama or something".

It was awkward to say the least. So, in the last little while since I've been home I have again felt the need to change my name.

I am not clever though. Really, I'm not. I'm not funny and not clever...I leave that to all the other awesome bloggers out there.

I need some help. So, I am holding a contest. Help me find my name!

Here are the rules (what? You thought you'd get away with no rules?? HA!)

1. Enter as many names as you like
2. My final new name may or may not come from the list generated by this contest
3. Tweet or blog about this for an extra entry
4. I will choose a winner at random on Friday, September 11.
.
That's it...right??

Oh, you want to know what you win?? I will put together a prize package for the winner consisting of, but not limited to:
$10 Land's End gift card
Oreos, Jr. Mints and Popcorn (3 of my loves)
If you knit -- yarn
If you sew -- fabric
If you do neither -- something to decorate for fall with.

Sound good? AWESOME! So, help a sister out. I figure there are 108 followers on my blog (as of this moment on Sunday afternoon), so I expect at least 108 comments on this post! ;)

Ready? Set? GO!

22 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

Um I really like your blog name. I have to think long and hard. I'll be back.

Unknown said...

I love this idea! I went through the same frustrating name change several months ago. I am horrible at coming up with a catchy name....how about something that brings you back to why you started your blog....like "Tightly Knit" or "Knit Together."

Unknown said...

I tweeted for you! http://twitter.com/1momof5/status/3807722239

Jo said...

"Prairie Mama At Heart" :D

Unknown said...

PS--Personally, I think Displaced Prairie Mama would be fun. That way, people would still recognize who you are.

Jo said...

http://twitter.com/MinnesotaJoZ/status/3807868396

This also automatically updates my Facebook status. Do I get 'extra points' for that? *grin*

Jo said...

I agree Lolli, that way she doesn't have to change all of her 'stuff' either. She could still use PrairieMama for twitter, etc...

Mommy Mo said...

Prairie Mama No More....Once a Prairie Mama, Always a Prairie Mama.....I Can Be Prairie Mama if I Want To.....No Prairie, Just a Mama

oh, I am cracking myself up with the wit tonight.

My Trendy Tykes said...

Oh geesh, I am not good at coming up with names...actually I stink.

I mean HELLO I am still My Trendy Tykes even though my kids run around in their underwear half the time.

Good luck coming up with the perfect name though!

FPIESmommy said...

I like Displaced Prairie Mama too (tells people where you come from - that is important to me!)....

I am not good at coming up with names either (FPIESmommy??!) - I am envious of people who come up with witty blog names...

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I have to say I never think about your name as your location, but just that it's "you" ! That being said, I imagine someday I might want to change mine... no idea what I'll end up doing. I have no suggestions at the moment but will let you know if I do. In the meantime, I love you, Prairie Mama!

Steph

Anonymous said...

Mama's Meanderings
I met you before I knew you blogged, so you are just Kim to me and prarie mama fits because reguardless of where you are, it is your roots and roots run deep.
Hey if you remember could you have Seth put that pattern in Zoie's cubby, it is right above his and then Tina will pick it up? We both never remember.

Susan Berlien said...

I like the name. I think you should keep it, but if you have to switch, I'll suggest "Mormon Mama" or "Not Just Mama" or "Crafty Creature" or "Mama's Journal"
I don't know just throwing a few out there. I don't need to win anything, sorry that I "entered too many" I like the "mama" theme. Keep that. :)

Deb said...

i really like prairie mama, but i will support you in any name you choose!

Kym said...

Funny....I never thought of the "prairie" in your name as a location but more of a life and who you are...cooking, canning, sewing, knitting, etc...I LOVE Prairie Mama!

girlsmama said...

Prairie Mama...in the mountains.

Prairie Mama...from the prairie to the mountains.

Maybe a name change isn't needed, but a tag line added.

Anonymous said...

I must echo the don't change it sentiment . . .to me prairie is synonymous with pioneer and to me you are the essence of a pioneering mama, finding her way through this remote, unchartered territory of parenting.
PSG

TopHat said...

I can't come up with anything cool at all. Just lame things like Prayer-ee Mama.

DiPaola Momma said...

Mom You Are, no matter where you go, Mom you are
(sort of a play on words but heck it would travel with ya!)

Momma FROM the Prairie (tells us where you come from)

Prairie DAWG (hip, and a shout out to your Prarie peeps, keeping it real and all, SUP!)

Heather of the EO said...

It appears your fans really like your current name. NOW WHAT? :)

I like the idea of adding a tag-line.

Like "Prairie Mama: no longer on the prairie, but always a mama."

Or, Prairie Mama: you know, like Little House, but without the prairie." (I know, hilarity - horrible.)

Or, Heather trips a lot...

wait...I should probably stop now.

Mama bee said...

I do like Prairie Mama. Displaced Prairie Mama is nice too. What about something with the Jayhawks? Ummm... yeah. I'll let you know if I think of something.

Piper of Love said...

As one who has gone through this herself, and for not losing readers purposes, and for minimal confusion to the masses, etc., I vote for sticking with a name that at least contains your current name.

I think the names already offered are pretty good, but for giggles I'll offer
Ye Olde Prairie Mama

good luck, love!