Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Let Go and Let God


Last week I braved taking my 3 hooligans to a cabin in the woods with my family. It was a lot of fun. Seth and Amelia had so much fun playing with their cousin Ellie, and then their 4 big boy cousins came to play also! I didn't see much of those two as they were out playing in forts, searching for snakes and riding on 4 wheelers with Grandpa and Meemaw.

On Friday evening Seth asked if I would take him on a ride, how could I deny him this sweet request? So, I left Libby (sobbing) in the arms of my Mother and hopped on the 4 wheeler with my boy.

He was really excited because I let him control the gas and I just steered. He did really good. At one point I was controlling the gas and steering and we came to a sharp turn. I missed the turn and had to go through the grass to get back on the trail. When we came out of the grass and onto the gravel road I lost a bit of control and we almost ended up on our side in more grass. It scared me. Seth just said, "Awesome Mom!"

It got me thinking about how often I get scared by things that I shouldn't even worry about. How often do I try to control every situation rather than just letting go and letting God take control? Everything we do has the potential to be scary if we let it. But, if we just sit back and enjoy the ride and trust God like a child, think of how much more we would enjoy this life!

So, that is what I am doing now. I am trying to let go and let God have control and enjoy the ride.

***Disclaimer***
This doesn't mean that I will never yell at my children, talk badly of myself, lose my patience or be scared again...it just means I am trying
.

1 comment:

Mama bee said...

I'm working on relaxing when it comes to Doodle and her daredevil behavior. It's hard. She will climb the highest thing she can, jump into deep water without anyone watching... all sorts of things that scare the bejebus out of me. But I'm trying really hard to explain to her safety-wise what my limitations for her are, and how she can do more after she does xyz (ie: she can jump in the water if she makes sure we're there to catch her, and checks to make sure we're ready). I'm trying so hard to not scare the daringness out of her, but sometimes she makes me so nervous!