Sunday, July 25, 2010

Rice Pudding. It is SOOOOO Good!

When Amelia was just a new baby, 4 years ago, we went to visit Jeremy's brother and sister-in-law in Provo.  That evening we were needing a sweet treat and they talked us into going to Pudding on the Rice, a rice pudding joint.  Which sadly is now closed, a fact that makes my heart and my mouth oh so sad.

I was really skeptical because I had never had rice pudding and really, I thought it was just for old people.  I was just sure it was going to have raisins and other gross things in it.  Yeah, I don't love raisins.

Anyhoo, Karen assured me that it was more like rice pudding meets Baskin Robins.  This I had to try.

When we got there I was shocked to see all the great flavors; peach (made with fresh peaches), raspberry, chocolate (with tons of yummies in it), amaretto...the list goes on.  I ordered mine and instantly fell in love. I was hooked.

The only problem was that I lived an hour away from this great little spot.  So, I learned how to make rice pudding and it is now one of our favorite desserts.  I have made chocolate, fruity, almond, coconut...I love to make this.  One of my favorites to make though is Almond Joy Rice Pudding.

When I announced on Twitter that I was making this, I had several people asking me for a recipe.  So...here you have it!

Rice Pudding

4 Cups cooked arborio rice
8 Cups Half and Half
2 Cups Sugar
1/2 t. salt
2 Eggs
2 t. vanilla

Combine rice, 7 C. of the half and half, sugar and salt in a heavy pot.  On medium heat, use a wooden spoon and stir until thickened (about an hour).  It will look like a thick white gravy, but oh so yummier!

Remove from heat and temper eggs.  To do this, beat your two eggs with a fork and add a little of the rice mixture at a time to the eggs.  This will keep them from scrambling.  After adding about a cup of the rice mixture to the eggs, put it all together and stir to combine. 

Now, add the rest of the 1/2 and 1/2 and vanilla.  --  This is your base.  From this, you can add whatever you want to make it super yummy.  Experiment and have fun.

To make Almond Joy Rice Pudding, you will now add 1 t. coconut extract.  Cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator until it is cooled (I usually let it sit over night).  When you are ready to serve it, put in about 3/4 a bag of chocolate chips, 1 C. toasted sliced almonds, and 1 C. toasted coconut.

There you have it! Rice Pudding that will knock your socks off!

No comments: