Friday, August 21, 2009

Rock of Ages Review


Y'all know I love One2One Network. They always have really great things to review and I have gotten some fun items.

When I got the email telling about Rock of Ages, I was a bit skeptical. I LOVED my big hair bands in the late 80's early 90's. They made me happy. In fact, I often can be found rockin' out to Monster Ballads (1 and 2!).

But, when I read that there was going to be a Broadway Musical about music from the 80's? A musical about a hairband in 1987??? Ok, to say I squealed a little wouldn't be an exaggeration.

Here is a little about the soundtrack to this great new musical:

New Line Records just hammered the in-store release of the Original Broadway Cast Recording of five-time Tony Award nominated "ROCK OF AGES." For those of you not in the know, Rock of Ages is the new Broadway musical starring American Idol finalist Constantine Maroulis. Set in 1987 in a legendary Sunset Strip rock club, a small-town girl meets a big-city dreamer and they fall in love to the greatest metal songs of the 80's. The musical is an arena-rock love story told through the mind-blowing, face-melting hits of Journey, Bon Jovi, Styx, Reo Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Foreigner, Twisted Sister, Poison, Asia, Whitesnake and more.

So, I got the cd in the mail and popped it in. I really like it. I have always loved musicals, I have always loved Broadway soundtracks. But...there are a couple things I don't love about this one.
First -- the talking. Yeah, it can get a little annoying when, in the middle of a song, they start with the dialogue. I am sure if I were able to go to New York and see this play I would feel differently about this.
Second -- they changed the lyrics to some of my favorite songs. So here I am, singing along, feeling like I am back in Jr. High, and BOOM! Different words.

Since those two items aren't huge deals to me, I still listen to it. But, that is only when I can pry it out of the hands of my 5 year old son. He LOVES this CD. He has claimed it as his and I barely see it anymore. However, anytime I want to listen to it, all I need to do is go and listen at his bedroom door. I think this is very telling of my future with him! (i totally have a video of him rocking out, but my computer is not being nice and won't upload it...someday, i promise!)

You can go buy the Rock of Ages CD today and have fun reliving the glory days with me!

No comments: