Saturday, February 21, 2009

Let's Get Ready for Kindergarten! Review


One thing I love about blogging is having the opportunity to review some really cool items. Many of you know Seth will be starting Kindergarten next year. This is something that causes me to hyperventilate if I allow myself to really think about it.

When I was given the opportunity to review Cedar Valley Publishing's Let's Get Ready for Kindergarten and Let's Get Ready for First Grade, I jumped at the chance. Reading a little bit about the founder, Stacey Kannenberg, got me even more excited about this.
Becoming a mom not only changed my life but it is impacting education. I created my company when my girls were ages 3 and 1 and I was trying to find something to help them get ready for school. I am not a teacher or educator, and yet I created a book used by schools. I didn’t create the alphabet, numbers, colors or shapes but found a way to repackage it for parents, kids and teachers. With a telephone and a computer, I created www.cedarvalleypublishing.com. 10% of all profits are donated to literacy foundations and back to schools. I am a mom inspired by Oprah to change education. This has become my passion! My mantra is if two brothers from Ohio can change the face of aviation, that why can’t a mom, inspired by Oprah change education at the core! Thirty-eight states are discussing all day 4 year-old Kindergarten because kids are not coming to school prepared. But where are the public service announcements telling parents the 7 things they need to know for Kindergarten testing: the alphabet all mixed up, number to 10 all mixed up, basic shapes, colors, coins, counting objects to 10 and how far they can count to 100? Schools purchase my books in bulk to help get parents, kids and teachers all be on the same page of Kindergarten and First Grade! Now I have a national platform speaking to educators, schools, parents and kids! This is a true family business! Who better to help me write Let’s Get Ready For Second Grade! than my 2nd and 4th grader!

So, what do my real reviewers think? Well, I had to hunt down the books because they LOVE them!!! As soon as I opened the package with these books in them, Seth and Amelia took them away from me. They ask me consistently to "do school" with them and these books. It is great for me also to see where Seth is and what we really need to work on in the next 6 months.

I also love that they are heavy and laminated. We can do activities in them with a dry erase marker. They are durable and obviously made by a Mom!

I think if I can get him a little better prepared for school, then I won't hyperventilate as much when I think about it!

So, go on over to Cedar Valley Publishing and check out Stacey's amazing books. They are fantastic and worth every cent.


3 comments:

Heather of the EO said...

I really want to check these out! They look great!

Um. I'm confused. Is the voting still open?

Anonymous said...

You are a good parent! A great mom with love and you have set a good role model for your kids. I respect you.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Kim once again you are helping all of us mothers out. I sure do love you friend!
Kerr