Friday, November 30, 2007

The More Things Change...

The more they stay the same right?  Well, yesterday I went to Utah State University to meet Jeremy for lunch.  He is doing some work up there this week and it was fun for me to go back to the campus where I have made so many memories.

The kids and I drove up and parked in the parking garage and I realized that I could have saved money by taking the bus, oh well, next time.  We got there and I walked the paths that I have walked so many times, but this time it was vastly different.  This time, I had a baby in the sling and a 3 year old dragon fighter with me.  As we walked in the door of the Taggart Student Center, I was immediately filled with the sights, sounds and smells of my college days.  We found Jeremy and he looked at me funny.  I guess I had a very reminiscent face.  I went and got food for us, and we sat to eat.  We sat and laughed as we listened to the conversation happening at the table next to us.  4 students, 3 girls, one boy, were chatting about what they were going to do this weekend.  It was just so funny to listen to them, and I started to feel old, very old.

Now, I am not old, I am only 30.  But, the last time I ate in the TSC, I was 23.  There is a big difference between a single 23 year old, and a married, mothered, 30 year old.  A lot has happened in the last 7 years.

I moved out of state.  Met some wonderful friends.  Cemented family relationships.  Fell in love.  Got married.  Had a baby.  Lost said baby.  Moved again, had 2 more babies.  My perspective on so many things has changed since I left USU 7 years ago.  I am more educated now in the ways of childbirth, health and natural family living.  While I still am terrible at Math, I can tell you how and why you should cloth diaper, wear your baby, co-sleep and even offer my opinions about homebirth and vaccinations.  Those were things I had never even thought of before.  But they are part of my daily ramblings now.

I also noticed that I am not the only one that has changed.  Technology has changed so much.  When I was going to school there were few people with laptops.  Everyone had a walkman that they listened to as they studied in the library or ate lunch in the student center.  We had papers and books to read.  The only way you could get on the computer is if you went to the computer lab, and then you had to wait an extremely long time to get on a computer.  All the Macs were always open, no one used Macs then.  Oh and cell phones.  They were a luxury, not a necessity.  I was struck as I watched people eating lunch, listening to their iPod's, and chatting on their laptops, just how different this world is.  As we said goodbye to Jeremy, we went and got in the car.  But not before I walked around for a bit.  I never realized how many people have cell phones!  I think that probably 90% of the students and faculty I saw walking around on campus were on cell phones.  Just so vastly different from my day.

However, like I said, the more things change, the more they stay the same.  People still dress the same.  You have the students who want to look like they don't care.  The ones who are so self conscious they walk around trying to look like they fit.  There are the older students who are too busy to care what anyone else thinks, the young freshmen who are just having fun learning about who they are and what they want from live.

It is amazing.  And I am going to be a part of it again soon.  We've made the decision that I can go back to school.  I am re-applying and hopefully can get a scholarship for returning women.  It pays to be older and wiser and much more dedicated this time around.

I hope to get my degree in Journalism.  I have always enjoyed writing and reading.  And I figure it is something I can do while still having small children.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  I am in Logan again, and am going to be going to school.  I can't wait!

No comments: