Sunday, August 27, 2006

Big Babies, Breastfeeding, and Binkies

How is that for a title?? Amelia is 13 lbs. 3 oz. (as of this last Thursday), she is only one pound smaller at 2 months than Emma was at 4 months!!! She really is a chunk! Such a happy girl though, makes my life much easier.

August is World Breastfeeding Month. What does this mean for me? Well, since I am a breastfeeding Mama, I take pride in knowing that there is an entire month to support, empower and educate women about breastfeeding.
The Utah Breastfeeding Coalition and La Leche League of Salt Lake had a Breastfeeding Cafe' this month at the Downtown Library. This has been such a neat opportunity for so many women to educate and be educated. The library is set up with many shops and one space is called the Share space. It is for non-profit organizations. We set up shop there this month. We have had raffles, massages, comfy chairs (thank you Babies R Us!!) and no shortage of breastfeeding Moms in the cafe'.
I have volunteered as much as my time would allow with 2 small children. I have talked to men, women, children, teenagers, Mothers, Grandmothers, Aunts, Uncles, Fathers, Grandfathers, all walks of life really. I have educated and been educated. I have laughed with Moms and my heart has broken with them. There were women who came from a long legacy of breastfeeding women. Women who were trailblazers in their own right. Women who did what they felt was right, breastfed their babies. Women who, without any help from anyone else, did what came naturally, fed their children.
I also met women who have never known anyone who breastfed. Women who want to breastfeed,. but don't know how. One woman like this came into the cafe one day. She came by and told me she was pregnant and due in January with her first child. She was thinking about breastfeeding, but didn't know anyone who ever had. Her Mother and sisters and friends all formula fed. I gave her some information and she left. She came back about 15 minutes later and sat for an hour. She asked me questions like, "how will I know if I have enough milk?", and "why do breastfed babies nurse so much?". She was also wondering about cosleeping, pacifiers and slings.
It really has been such a neat experience to talk to so many people and be able to share my passion for breastfeeding with lots of Moms! :)

Binkies...ugh, the bain of my existance. Not really, but it is a constant battle in my home. Seth used a binkie until 7 months when he weaned himself of it. Well, in May he found one in his room and started sucking on it. Now he wants it ALL the time!!! It drives me nuts. I've been trying to figure out why it makes me so crazy. Is it because I can't understand him when he talks? Because it gives him red chapped lips? Or, is it because I can't stand the way it looks? Really, all of the above, but I absolutely hate the way it looks. It drives me nuts. But, is it worth the battles? Is this a battle I should fight? Is it really that important overall? Probably not. I'd rather he be honest, respectful, and polite. If I can get those things and he still wants a binkie...well, then I guess I'm doing something right.

It has taken me 4 days to write this! My in-laws are here this week and we are having lots of fun with them; thus me not finishing this!!

No comments: