Saturday, August 5, 2006

August 5, 2006

So, I've been doing a lot of reading recently about the best way to teach children. I know how to teach an older child, but a 2 year old? Not so much. Anyway, I'm reading this book by Glenn Doman, How to Mulitply Your Baby's Intelligence. This has gotten me thinking a lot about intelligence. The book brings up the point that our society is so afraid of intelligence. We actually fear it. We revere athletes, have pep rallys for them in high school, have the Olympics for them, and I admit it, I love College Basketball!!! However, what do we do for the smart kids? Ridicule them, ostracize them, and later say, "Man! Why didn't I invent that??".

Despite that...I am scared of teaching my son too much. I am scared of making him too smart. Why? Because I want him to fit in. I want him to be liked. I don't want him to be a nerd or a geek. Can't he be smart without being a nerd or a geek? I am sure he can. I just have to be sure that he gets lots of socialization and learns how to interact well with others.

This whole parenting thing is scary. It scares me everyday. I just hope I can be intelligent enough to give my children everything they need when they need it. To know when to back off and to know when to push harder.

Today we are going up to Kaysville and are blessing Amelia. My niece Tess (11 days older than Amelia) is being blessed also and my nephew Isaac (Tess' brother) is being baptized. My whole side of the family will be there. We're sad that Jer's folks couldn't make it...it kind of stinks living so far away from them :(

Ok, i have to go, Amelia needs to eat and Seth is poopy and tearing apart (literally) the bookshelf!!! Ah, the life of Pooh Corner.

No comments: