Monday, December 19, 2011

Running


I dreaded the mile run in elementary school.  I was never good at it, and always one of the last kids to finish.  It was as if my lungs and my legs just couldn't coordinate enough to let me go faster.

Junior High came and I decided to join the track team.  I found I was really good at hurdles and sprints.  Let me go a short distance really fast and I was great.  But, I preferred swimming and diving, so when high school came, I quit track and followed my true love, the water.

It has been 21 years since I have run. Sure, I have chased my kids and I have tried to do the couch to 5K several times, but I have never really stuck with it and ran.

That is changing.  Starting today, I am in training for the Zooma 1/2 marathon.  Yes folks, you read that right. I am going to run 13.1 miles on March 31.

Zooma has a new program this year, the Texas Girlfriend's Program.  They took 15 women who don't run, haven't ever run, used to run but haven't in a long time, and paired them with a mentor. Their mentor is someone who knows a thing or two about running and will help them achieve this lofty goal.

For the next 15 weeks I will be running, strengthening, and stretching my physical as well as my emotional muscles.  I know that much of my training will be mental. I tend to talk myself out of things before I even give it a good chance.

I can do this though. I am strong. I have had 4 babies AT HOME, I can run a half marathon, right?

Today is day 1. The biggest hurdle is going to be getting out the door. My plan was to take the baby with me and hit the trail while the kids were at the YMCA child care center.  Well, it is cold and rainy today, so I have to come up with plan B. Treadmill? Running on sidewalks/street? I am not sure yet.  This is all part of the adventure.  

Ready or not, here I go.

No comments: