Monday, September 13, 2010

9/11

*I know this is a few days late, but I needed extra time to get this post just right.  I hope you can forgive my tardiness.


The view from the ferry taking us to Liberty Island was breathtaking.  The city, right there before us.  The sights, sounds and smells that surrounded us were truly New York.  Standing on the ferry, I heard hundreds of different languages.  I heard laughter that is universally the same and I saw families, couples and individuals taking in the same thing I was...our symbol of Freedom, the Statue of Liberty.

Jeremy and I walked around Liberty Island and found a spot to sit down.  I sat there and looked at the city.  At that moment, I had a very sobering thought.  I imagined what it was like for people on the ferry, or on Liberty Island, that morning 9 years ago.  To sit there and watch in horror as this magnificent city changed forever.


This was my first trip to New York City, so I didn't know the city before.  I didn't go to ground zero, but I didn't have to feel the spirit of those thousands of people who died on September 11.  I didn't have to, because I felt it in the people all around me.

Every time I heard a siren, which was VERY often, I wondered how long it took for the people of that city to not have their blood run cold at that sound.  Every time I saw the new skyline, I wondered how long it took for people to get over the big gap in their view.

After our trip to Liberty and Ellis Islands, we took the ferry back to the city.  When we arrived in Battery Park, I was met by this.

World Trade Center Sphere image from Google Images

The World Trade Center Sphere.  Looking at the twisted metal, the eternal flame, and feeling the sense of reverence at this spot gave me peace. 

While we as a nation have moved on, we have not and will not ever forget.  This is something that is changed us forever.  I know I remember where I was when I heard the news, I know you know where you were.  I am just so grateful I was able to be in that magnificent city, to experience the resilience of the people, and know that although thousands of lives were lost, even more were changed, we can move forward as a people and be better.

No comments: