Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Be Fashionable...or at least TRY!

Dear Friends,

It wasn't long ago when I wore tapered jeans, big over-sized t-shirts and sweatshirts and tennis shoes everywhere I went.  When I entered college, I was a Birkenstock wearing, Overalls donning kind of girl.  I still loved my big t-shirts to hide my body.

It really hasn't been until the last two years that I have started to find comfort in my body and become a wee bit more fashionable.

Since money has always been an issue, I have had to do it on the cheap.  I love the blog Cardigan Empire.  She gives great advice on dressing for your body type, and gives less expensive options.

So, here are my top 10 tips on Being Fashionable...on a BUDGET.

1. Never buy a name brand anything.  Seriously, you don't need to, at least not at brand named prices.

2. Shop at discount stores like TJ Maxx, Ross or Marshalls. See #1.

3. Reinforce the knees and butts of your jeans.  Say you do pay a lot for a pair of jeans (this is one area where I will spend a little bit to get a good pair of jeans), you probably can't afford to get more than one pair and if you do, you absolutely can't get 2.  So, get some denim patches and iron them onto the inside of your jeans at the butt and knees.  This will make it so your jeans will last longer. (you can do this with your kids jeans too, I highly recommend it)

4. Take care of your shoes.  Rotate out your summer shoes in winter so that they stay in good shape through the winter.  Some people keep the boxes and keep their shoes in the boxes.  But, my closet isn't nearly big enough, so I just put them in a box and put them in storage.

5. Look in magazines for styles you like, then try to copy them.  It is highly likely you can find items very similar to what you see in fashion magazines but at really great prices in discount stores.

6. Accessorize.  I can not emphasize this enough.  You can get earrings, necklaces, bracelets and bags for pretty inexpensive.  These items can really make your outfit, however plain, pop.

7.  Have a clothing swap with your friends.  When you are sick of your wardrobe, invite some friends (of similar size) to do a clothing swap.  Everyone brings things they don't wear anymore and put them in a pile then everyone can choose new items of clothing.  Way fun and free!

8. Don't be afraid of thrift stores.  You can find some amazing things at Thrift Stores.  Don't be afraid of them.

9.  Learn to sew.  I have saved a lot of money and have been able to be pretty fashionable just by knowing how to sew.

10. Don't be afraid.  Be bold, have fun and don't be afraid to try something new with your style!

So, those are my 10 tips.  What are yours?  How do you dress fashionably and not break the budget??



I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Gap Outlet blogging program to be eligible to win a $20 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

No comments: